- I am a cognitive scientist and neuroscientist, working at Brain Corporation in San Diego, California. I study how networks of simulated neurons learn to control themselves and generate end-directed actions -- thoughts, decisions, memory formation, and movement.
- My team focuses on integrating machine learning algorithms into closed-loop systems so they act on and influence the world that they perceive.
For a complete list, see my CV here.
- Laurent, P. A., Hall, M. G., Anderson, B. A., Yantis, S. (2014) Valuable orientations capture attention. Visual Cognition. (journal link)
- Cole M.W., Laurent P., Stocco A. (2013) Rapid instructed task learning: A new window into the human brain's unique capacity for flexible cognitive control. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience. (journal link)
- Laurent, P. A. (2013) A Neural Mechanism for Reward Discounting: Insights from Modeling Hippocampal-Striatal Interactions. Cognitive Computation. (journal link) (my draft, free)
- Laurent, P. A. (2008) The emergence of saliency and novelty responses from reinforcement learning principles. Neural Networks, 21:1493-1499. (journal link)
- Reichle, E. D. & Laurent, P. A. (2006) Using reinforcement learning to understand the emergence of ‘intelligent’ eye-movement behavior during reading. Psychological Review, 113: 390-408. (journal link)
Here is some software I've developed during my research. You are free to use any of this source code in your work as long as you acknowledge me. I hope to get around to selecting a more specific open source license soon.
- Computational Modeling
- My project to develop a simple but powerful neural network simulation language inspired by SQL. NNQL minimizes programming time, maximizes clarity of model descriptions, and improves communication between modelers and non-modelers.
- Adaptive Reading Agent Simulator
|(Runs in a GUI) Train a Reinforcement Learning agent to control its saccadic eye movements as it reads words of various lengths and word identification difficulties. Outputs data in MATLAB matrix format for easy analysis.|
- Recurrent McCulloch-Pitts Network
- Train and test a Levy-style recurrent neural network of spiking McCulloch-Pitts neurons.
- SVM Weight Extractor
- Handy script that extracts weights from the SVM generated by MATLAB's bioinformatics toolbox so you can look at the value of your decision variables.
- ASL Eye Tracker Driver
- This Java code allows you to get gaze information from ASL eye trackers via a serial port connection for gaze-contingent paradigms. It interprets the binary data from the controller.
- EPI Noise Echo Cancellation
- If you need to hear your participant in real time during your fMRI experiment, this ChucK script allows
you to cancel out the scanner noise during EPI data acquisition.